ROUND 11 WRAP
Tuesday, July 03, 2012
By Ben Pollard
You simply have to admire all the SMJFL players who came out on a wet and wild Sunday to do what they love, when sitting in front of a heater would’ve been the favoured option for most Melburnians... And of course, the forecast for the coming weekend – a week off in the SMJFL – is for a perfect sunny day!
- Gee, Brighton Beach 2 left it late to storm over the top of Murrumbeena Gold in Radiant Under 11 West... With only one win this season, ‘Beena were eyeing off a big victory over their third-placed opponents at three-quarter time, leading by 10 points. Life was a beach in the last term though, as the Brighton wave crashed over Murrumbeena to win by a goal.
- A round of upsets in Radiant Under 11 South – the bottom two teams both defeated their more fancied opponents. Oakleigh got over East Malvern Red by six goals. Robin Chea was Oakleigh’s best and five of their seven goals were kicked by Nicholas Stathopoulos. Fellow cellar dweller Ormond also knocked off East Brighton Vampires by 10 points, with Aedan Gordon and Liam Jenkins their best. We love a good even competition...
- Sensational upset in Under 12 East! After a 10-match unbeaten streak to begin the season, East Sandringham finally fell victim to Waverley Park Gold. It was even to half time, but Waverley was all Gold in the second half with Brodie Gravell and Jackson Dean shining brightest, and Starsy Gountras kicking two big majors.
- Nice victory by Under 13 Division 4’s East Sandringham over the higher-placed East Malvern Blue. Last time I checked, keeping your opponent scoreless for the first half will usually get the job done, and East Sandy’s early defence indeed proved the difference. Take a bow Hugo Butler, Matthew Sutcliffe and Sam Taylor.
- Kudos to the Under 14 Division 1 sharpshooters: Liam McCabe’s four goals for St Peters, Charlie Ferris-McDonald’s five snags for Murrumbeena Gold, Thomas La Cava’s five majors for Beaumaris Sharks and Ryan Kreymborg’s six big sausage rolls for East Brighton Vampires all helped their teams to victory.
- Did the Ormond Blue forward line get a complete reshuffle at half time of their Under 14 Division 2 win over Hampton?! After kicking a wayward 2.13 (25) in the first half, they pulled out 10.1 (61) in the second!
- Cheltenham Black were down by nine points to Ajax Jets in Under 15 Division 3 on the weekend, but proceeded to outscore their opponents by 52 points in the second half... Luke Meo kicked a lazy eight goals!
- Adam Lloyd’s 10 goals in Dingley’s Under 16 Division 2 win still wasn’t enough for best-on-ground honours... Well done, Lee Johnston.
- Something special in Under 17 Division 1: St Peters and the previously undefeated Cheltenham played out an absolute corker! The game was close all day and tied at three-quarter time, before St Peters got up in a tense final term by five points to hand Chelt their first loss of 2012. Daniel Anastasio, Lachlan Harkness and Ryan King were instrumental in the win. Both teams should meet again come finals... And it’ll be on!